Sunday, November 1, 2009

When emergency was imposed second time by Indira!!

Well well!! after a gap of three months (a crazy writer's block) I am back again.
But I would give the credit for making me write again to Indira Gandhi :)
Yes the lady(the only man in her cabinet) made me write again.

It has been a crazy week in media. With 25th anniversary of Indira Gandhi (date of birth or death anniversary..well i don't really care) Indira Gandhi is all over media. When you open the morning newspaper she has a full page tribute on every alternate page till 8 pages!!!! with some or the other ministry paying her tribute.

Then when I see the news channels on television, all across the channels I see images of Indira and talk shows based upon her. As my friend Amit says ,''They must have shown Rahul Gandhi pays his respect with flowers at her grave at least a million times''

It looks like a PR exercise for Indira Gandhi. She must have made a TRP record this week.
But here the audience is forced and the media purchased.

In the earlier emergency the media was silenced and in this second emergency put on media for the past one week all they have been saying with their purchased voices is 'Indira'

And my friend Himanshu asks me,''was this kind of attention even given to Mahatma Gandhi himself?''
Then I tell him,'' Of course he wasn't a part of the Gandhi family ;)''

Well Indira, you have irritated me to such an extent that you finally made me write :)
This piece is my tribute to 'Indira' ;)


2 comments:

  1. i fully agree with the sentiments. its an attempt to rewrite the history by the powers to be. a huge PR exercise directed at creating an impression that whatever good has happened in india is because of gandhi family(dont get confused with the loser from gujarat!!!!). in the process the excesses being committed( if you have forgotten then let me remind you of murder of democracy and secularism) have been imputed to the bad advisors, and dishonest babus. since divinity cannot have the blemishes therefore whatever dark shadows might appear must be shared by lesser mortals like ss ray.
    p.s. this comment should not be seen as any aspersions on the indira gandhi per se. i sincerely acknowledge the great leadership she provided to we as a nation. it is just an attemp to sift human indira from the divinity being thrust upon her by her zealous followers and acolytes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post again...!!
    Indira Gandhi was a tough leader and i respect her for that. But one should not forget how brutally selfish was she. I do not have to remind Bhindrewala's meteoric rise & fall or how emergency was declared after Alahabad HC's ruling.
    And yes, the way she and Rahul are being projected, just makes me envy...!!

    ReplyDelete